Q&A with Sullivan

Heading into the second year of her tenure, University President Teresa A. Sullivan has sought to maintain the University's stature as a leading institution of higher education. No longer in the inaugural stages of office, Sullivan reflects on her initial months as president and her experiences as an established member of the University community.

The Cavalier Daily: What were some highlights from your first year as president?

President Teresa A. Sullivan: There were a lot of them. Final Exercises were fabulous. Just seeing so many happy students and meeting their parents at Carr's Hill - that was great.\nAt the beginning of the year, talking to the parents: it was my first big address on Grounds, and it was fun. They particularly liked the little riff on helicopter parents - or at least the students liked it.

CD: What was your greatest challenge?

TS: When I came [to the University], we were still dealing with the aftermath of Yeardley Love's death. The Day of Dialogue was both a high point and a low point. A low point in the sense that there was a lot of raw grief and anger, all those emotions that are hard to deal with ... but also a high point because I saw a lot of people who were really dedicated to making [the University] a better community. The day Tom Gilliam died - meeting with his parents and grandparents - that sort of thing is very difficult. And they're wonderful people.

CD: In a blog post last May titled "Forever Young," College Dean Meredith Woo suggested the University has both evolved and remained ageless. She writes: "If there is a consciousness of the University that remains forever young ... I think it is this tension between aristocracy and populism: