State schools hold summit

Leaders of public universities discuss evolving technology

Justin Thompson, assistant provost for academic planning and development, represented the University at "The Future of State Universities" conference held in Dallas, Texas last week. The conference, hosted by former governors Jeb Bush, R-Fla., and James Hunt, D-N.C., aimed to spark conversations among public university leaders about teaching the 21st century student in light of expanding technology and shrinking state budgets. The conference featured such prominent speakers as former United Kingdom Prime Minister Tony Blair.

"The subject matter is important, I think, certainly for increased access to higher education," Thompson said. The presentation focused on trends in distance education, which Thompson said will play an important role in reaching more students in the future.

Through PRODUCED in Virginia, a program within the Engineering School, the University already participates in distance learning. Thompson predicted the program would continue for years to come.

Academic Partnerships, a company designed to increase access of qualified students to public universities by online learning, sponsored the conference. Founder Randy Best said one of the main concerns addressed at the conference was the use of technology in instruction.

"I don't believe there has ever been a time in history that the student has been more different than the professor," he said, noting the disparity between students' and faculty familiarity with technology.

"Universities have been a little slow in adapting to the expectation and lifestyle in today's students," Best said.

Conference speakers also addressed the enduring notion that large schools and elite schools are mutually exclusive, Best said.

"Michael Crowe talked about the new American university, talking about access trumping elitism," he said.

The conference focused on finding new ways to implement technology in promoting broad-based access to high-quality education.

"I think there was a feeling of open-mindedness and receptivity that we hoped for," Best said.