Virginia finishes second-to-last in opener

The Virginia women's swimming team opened its season placing fifth out of six teams at the Southern Methodist University Classic which was held in Dallas, Texas last weekend.

The Cavaliers, who sent eight of their swimmers to the highly competitive meet, tallied 248 total points throughout the two-day event.

Junior Christine Olson paced the Cavalier contingent with a first-place finish during the B Final of the 200 breaststroke at 2:14.90, which ranked as the second-fastest time of the entire event.

Sophomore Caroline Kenney also touched the wall first during the B Final of the 200 backstroke at the 2:00.69 mark - less than one second ahead of runner-up Southern Methodist freshman Isabella Arcila.

Sophomore Rachel Naurath, senior Kelly Flynn, freshman Ellen Williamson and the Virginia 200 freestyle relay team also nabbed top-five finishes to end up fewer than nine points behind fourth-place finisher Louisville. Texas claimed the SMU Classic title with 350 team points.

The women's squad returns to action Friday as it joins the Virginia men's swimming and diving team in Annapolis, Md., to compete against Navy.

-compiled by Stacy Kruczkowski