Coupes remains Corner classic

Live music, friendly ambiance keeps old-school bar fresh

For students and locals alike, there is a small hangout nestled on Elliewood Avenue. That place is Coupe DeVille's, or "Coupes," as its patrons affectionately call it. Between the hearty meals and nightly specials, Coupes is a venerable hotspot on the Corner every night of the week. There is something distinct about Coupes; beyond the intimate atmosphere and rambunctious crowd, Coupes boasts a vast array of musical talent.

Locally owned and run since 1986, Coupes is the epitome of a pub-style college bar. Featuring cozy booths, an outdoor patio and a sizable clientele of regulars, Coupes makes you feel at home from every angle. They still use old school cash registers, and were once listed in a Rolling Stone article as one of the top 10 "fun" reasons to go to college. Bringing it all together is the personable staff of usually four to six people per night.

"Coupes is the kind of bar you're not going to find in a lot of other towns," said Gregory Pace, who has been managing Coupes for the last 16 years.

. From reggae to country to southern rock, "there's something for everybody," Pace said. Although you won't find DJs or dance floors at Coupes like you will at other bars on the Corner, you will find a live band or artist that's always friendly and knows how to interact with the crowd.

Shannon Branch can certainly attest to that. Branch, who started playing country music at Coupes two years ago, said the enthusiastic crowd is the best part of performing.

"It's a blast," he said. "You never know what you're going get or who you're going meet."

Branch added that part of the thrill of playing at Coupes is the variety of song requests. He's even let patrons come up and sing the songs themselves karaoke-style. This happens most frequently when Branch starts playing "Wagon Wheel," which is "hands down the most requested song." Branch, who also plays in the band Santa Fe, draws a lot of energy from "the regulars."

"They always come ready to roll," he said.

For many students who need to take a night off from the drudgery of college life, Coupes is home. The managers and bartenders will come talk to you and listen to you bellyache about your problems while they serve you a drink. Celebrities like Peyton Manning, Sylvester Stallone and Blues Traveler have drank at Coupes as well as local music groups like Bennie Dodd and Sons of Bill. Twenty-first birthday celebrations are a staple, and Pace mentioned that sometimes brides and grooms who met at the bar stop at Coupes before their wedding.

Coupes garnered some attention earlier this semester about the potential for a change in ownership, but Pace insists that the bar will not leave the hands of those currently in charge. Looking fondly around the bar, Pace quipped, "if it's not broke, I try not to fix it."

Coupe DeVille's is a must stop for anyone who wants a taste of the nightlife that the Corner offers. Some might see Coupes as nothing more than a dive bar, but it truly has a lot to offer. "We've got some characters here," Pace said. "It's not It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, but sometimes it's close"