Squad suffers ACC tourney loss

The No. 6 Virginia women's soccer team was knocked out of the ACC Tournament in Cary, N.C. Friday night as it lost to No. 9 Florida State 2-1. The loss ends a six-game winning streak for the Cavaliers (14-4-2) and keeps them out of the ACC final, which Virginia hasn't reached since 2005.

The Cavaliers started the scoring with their lone goal of night during the 29th minute from senior forward Lauren Alwine. Alwine knocked in a point-blank header off a corner kick from sophomore defender Molly Menchel. But the Seminoles (14-6-0) roared back in the second half as redshirt junior forward Tiffany McCarty scored easily on a breakaway and passed Virginia junior forward Caroline Miller for the ACC lead with 15 goals.

The game-winner came during the 68th minute off an unbelievable shot from senior midfielder Janice Cayman, who blasted a goal past senior goalkeeper Chantel Jones from 30 yards out with two Virginia defenders on her back. Despite owning a 19-8 edge in shots and 10-4 advantage in corners during the game, the Cavaliers failed to battle back for the tying goal.

Virginia must wait to learn its postseason fate until 4:30 p.m. today, when the NCAA Tournament field of 64 will be announced on NCAA.com.

-compiled by Dean Overdyk