Spotlight on: Gary Oldman

The same names always come up in discussions about the top actors of today - DiCaprio, Day-Lewis, Pitt and the like. Yet one incredibly worthy name is consistently overlooked - Gary Oldman.

The 53-year-old veteran actor has always managed to stay out of the spotlight despite his substantial cult following. After earning his first film role in 1982, it took Oldman 30 years of exceptional performances to earn his first Academy Award nomination. Feb. 26 at the Kodak Theatre, however, Oldman will finally be sitting where he belongs - alongside Hollywood's biggest stars. His powerful performance in the British espionage thriller Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy pits Oldman against George Clooney, Brad Pitt and two other A-list performers for the title of "Best Actor in a Leading Role." In light of this honor, here are five of Oldman's finest performances to date.

5. Sirius Black/Jim Gordon

Okay I messed up my own countdown before I even got going. But both of these roles needed to be included to give a better mental picture of Oldman's versatility. Oldman played Sirius Black in the Harry Potter series, as well as Officer Jim Gordon in the popular Dark Knight series. Make sure to look out for Oldman in the upcoming Bat Blockbuster The Dark Knight Rises.

4. Sid Vicious

In the 1986 film Sid and Nancy, Oldman played famed rock and roller Sid Vicious. Vicious, known for both his musical talents and his self-destructive habits, was the bassist for the British punk rock band The Sex Pistols. Oldman's take on the iconic figure garnered critical acclaim and earned him a solid reputation as a promising young actor. Roger Ebert, famed film critic for The Chicago-Sun Times, even dubbed Sid and Nancy "punk rock's Romeo and Juliet."

3. Lee Harvey Oswald

Kevin Costner and Tommy Lee Jones reaped most of the praise for Oliver Stone's JFK (1991). Gary Oldman, however, curiously received little attention. Perhaps this was because of the character he played - one of the most despicable people in U.S. history. Nobody wants to give awards to John F. Kennedy's (probable) assassin, regardless of how well an actor plays him. Still, Oldman was at least on par with Jones, who unfairly nabbed the "Best Supporting Actor" nomination, leaving Oldman empty-handed that year.

2. George Smiley

As an astute intelligence officer at MI6 - the British equivalent of the CIA) - Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy's George Smiley is a man of few words, and Oldman plays his role perfectly. Adopting a calm demeanor and patient pace throughout the film, Oldman also showcases his uncanny ability to play characters at both ends of the dramatic spectrum. After all, how many actors could play Sid Vicious and George Smiley? Not many.

1. Norman Stansfield

Few people know the French thriller L