Society ball raises funds

Students, faculty attend restoration event; more than 400 tickets sold

The Jefferson Literary and Debating Society sold more than 400 tickets for the University's 49th annual Restoration Ball held Saturday night on Peabody Lawn to fundraise for the restoration of the Rotunda.

"A focus of ours was connecting current efforts to the larger trajectory and history of restoration," said Whit Hunter, third-year College student and Restoration Ball Chair, in an email. "The goal was to [raise funds], bringing together students, alumni, faculty, and administration under one roof to celebrate our collective experience in this great university, and our collective calling to restore its symbolic and literal centerpiece."

At a cocktail event for leaders from student organizations prior to the ball, Bob Sweeney, Vice president for development and public affairs, spoke about the importance of the restoration.

"Sweeney discussed his experience of living in the pavilion as having cemented his idea of how important the restoration is," said Colette Martin, second-year College student and Restoration Ball committee member. "With restoration efforts, hopefully the Rotunda can serve the University as not just a symbol, but can once again be a living and breathing space."

Shepard Ware, the Restoration Ball Chair in 2011, said the ball has changed in the past few years.

"[The Restoration Ball] wasn't always as big as it is now," Ware said. "Going back to this being a major calendar event for the student body was the direction in which we steered things."

Traditionally, the Restoration Ball event was co-hosted by the Jefferson Society and the University Guide Service, until the Jefferson Society took control of the event by itself last year.

This change, in conjunction with the University announcing it intended to raise a multi-year campaign for the restoration, provided the Jefferson Society with an opportunity to reach out to students and make the Restoration Ball something which once again involved the entire student body.

"[The ball] uses the collective excitement of the student body to celebrate together and gather awareness to preserve the icon of Jefferson's legacy," Ware said. "The event still has a much more charismatic feel, it's an older tradition... it is an event of the old University."

Restore U.Va., a student campaign started this year to raise money for the restoration of the Rotunda, also participated in planning the Restoration Ball.

The organization's other projects include the Restoration Auction, an online auction of University memorabilia, and Restoration Blazer, a fundraising effort in which the group donates $50 to the Rotunda project for every purchase of a specially designed Alton Lane blazer. Proceeds from both events go toward the Rotunda restoration.

The Alumni Association, the Development office, University Dining, Facilities management and the University Bookstore also helped organize the ball.

"Everyone came out and decided to have a great time - despite the torrential downpour," Hunter said. "I think we're all looking forward to the 50th."

The night ended with a gift from the Seven Society of $29,777.77, intended for restoration efforts. Tickets cost $20 each.

At press time, there was no final figure for the total amount raised from ticket sales and co-sponsorships.