Cavaliers take hot indoor play to outdoor courts

Virginia returns from two weeks off with weekend matches against Terps and Tribe

Following its return from a Spring Break hiatus, the No. 7 Virginia women's tennis team seeks to continue its strong play as it opens the outdoor season. The Cavaliers welcome rivals Maryland and William & Mary to Charlottesville this weekend for a pair of important matches.

"We're very confident," coach Mark Guilbeau said. "The break was much needed so that they could get a little mental break and emotional break from all this [grind]. The three days coming back, [assistant coach Trey] Porco has put them through three really good practices. They knew that was coming, and they've come back very strong and very open-minded."

Before the two-week break from the fast-paced competitive season, the Cavaliers (10-2, 3-0 ACC) were playing quality tennis, and they come into the weekend fresh off a four-game winning streak. In their last game, they easily handled a depleted Virginia Commonwealth squad in a 6-1 victory at Boar's Head. The team's only dropped point came in a tough three-set loss at sixth singles.

"That match was really helpful and gave us a lot of confidence," junior Hana Tomljanovic said. "First through sixth singles were - and all doubles were