Suit opposes injections

Department of Corrections follows incorrect execution protocol, attorneys allege

The Virginia Department of Corrections may be misusing procedures of medicine, anesthesiology and pharmacy when administering lethal injections, according to a complaint filed earlier this week by Alexandria attorneys Meghan Shapiro and Christopher Leibig.

Shapiro and Leibig allege individuals who do not hold a medical or pharmaceutical license, but are still administering lethal injections, are legally prohibited from administering or distributing any kind of drugs or medicine..

Since Virginia executioners are not licensed medical professionals, Shapiro, a criminal defense attorney who exclusively represents men and women indicted for capital murder, said in a press release Virginia Department of Corrections officers and employees are illegally administering lethal injections.

"I would like to see the Richmond City Circuit Court require the Department of Corrections to comply with all of Virginia's laws and regulations, including those concerning the administration of anesthesia and the handling of controlled chemicals," Shapiro said in an email.