NCAA grants quarterback transfer 2012 eligibility

Former Alabama signal caller Phillip Sims avoids missing season after successful appeal

The 2012 Virginia football team just became one marquee quarterback deeper.

The NCAA announced today it will allow redshirt sophomore quarterback Phillip Sims to compete for the Cavaliers this season. Sims officially transferred to the University in June after two years with reigning NCAA champion Alabama.

Although NCAA regulations specify that an undergraduate transfer must sit out the subsequent season, Sims appealed his eligibility citing family circumstances. The Chesapeake, Va. native wished to be near home to support his family.

“I am pleased we were able to work with the NCAA to get a resolution regarding this matter,” Virginia coach Mike London said in a statement. “We look forward to having Phillip and the rest of our team in camp this August.”

Sims joined the Crimson Tide in 2010 as a high-profile prospect and ESPN’s No. 1-rated high school quarterback. As a four-year starter at Oscar F. Smith High School, Sims etched his name into Virginia’s record books – he holds the state record with 10,725 career passing yards and 119 touchdown passes. Sims finished 48-4 as a starter and won the 2008 Virginia Group AAA Division 6 State Championship.

Despite his early fanfare, however, Sims redshirted his first year with Alabama and lost a two-way quarterback competition to sophomore AJ McCarron during last season’s title run. Sims appeared in eight games in 2011, completing 18-of-28 passes for 163 yards, no touchdowns and two interceptions.

He’ll now compete for the Cavaliers’ starting job with junior Michael Rocco and sophomore David Watford.

-compiled by Ashley Robertson