University fraternity investigated for hazing

Medical records for Omega Psi Phi pledge may show bruising and rib injuries

The hazing allegations levied against the University’s Lambda Zeta Chapter of Omega Psi Phi, a historically African-American fraternity, paint a picture of routine humiliation, intimidation and physical violence. After an informant told University Police about potentially dangerous pledging practices, officers launched a formal investigation into the fraternity, according to a medical records search warrant issued Aug. 27.

The anonymous informant met with University Police Sgt. Chris Easton on July 16 and told him he had noticed bruises on the pledges and said he thought another pledge might have suffered fractured ribs.

The fraternity’s pledges received phone calls every night between midnight and 3 a.m. instructing them to go to a specific location, the informant recounted. Once there, they were told to recite facts about the fraternity’s history. As they recited they were assaulted.

The informant also revealed the location where the group was planning to meet early in the morning of July 18.

Easton arrived before the fraternity members. At about 1 a.m. he observed four shirtless males, a fully clothed male and two females. One of the men without a shirt on stood with his back to the fully clothed man and raised his arms horizontally to each side. The fully clothed male proceeded to hit the shirtless male “simultaneously on each side of his torso area,” Easton said in the warrant.
“This went on for approximately 30 seconds with the intensity of the strikes appear[ing] to increase each time,” Easton said.

Student Health received a search warrant this week for the medical records of a second-year College student who was present on the morning of July 18. The students who were assaulted were required to have physicals to proceed with joining the fraternity, the informant told Easton.

The medical records for the student’s physical examination may show bruising or rib injuries.

Director of Fraternity and Sorority Life Michael Citro, an associate dean of students, and University Police declined to comment on the hazing allegations because the investigation is ongoing.

Omega Psi Phi strictly forbids hazing. The fraternity removed pledging as a prerequisite for obtaining membership in 1990.

Grand Counselor Christopher Cooper of the National Omega Psi Phi fraternity did not respond to requests for comment.