No. 12 Virginia women, No. 22 Cavalier men open 2012-13 golf season

Squads feature experience, talent, high expectations

<p>Senior Brittany Altomare</p>

Senior Brittany Altomare

The Virginia men’s and women’s golf teams will make their season debuts this weekend, as they look to validate their lofty preseason rankings. The No. 12 women open the 2012-13 campaign at the Cougar Classic in Charleston, S.C., while the No. 22 men begin with the Northern Open in Chicago, Ill.

Both teams tout experienced rosters that achieved success last year. The women return their entire top five from last season’s team, including four golfers who competed in the NCAA Championships, earning the program’s second consecutive fourth-place finish at NCAAs.

Meanwhile, the men bring back three members of their NCAA lineup from last spring that finished 22nd on the national stage.

Women’s head coach Kim Lewellen has guided the Cavaliers to five national championship appearances in as many years on the job. She will guide a talented lineup with two-time All-American Brittany Altomare leading the way.

Bowen Sargent enters his eighth year as men’s head coach with an eye toward neutralizing the loss of three-time All-American Ben Kohles, one of the team’s all-time greats. His efforts will be aided by the return of defending ACC champion junior Ben Rusch and ACC Freshman of the Year Denny McCarthy.
——compiled by Ian Rappaport