Center for Politics cancels Crystal Ball event due to hurricane

The University Center for Politics Sunday night canceled its much-anticipated Crystal Ball event scheduled for Monday evening, in which Center for Politics Director Larry Sabato was expected to deliver his official election predictions. The event will not be rescheduled because of space and scheduling limitations caused by the Virginia Film Festival.

The cancellation is not an isolated one. Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright was scheduled to speak at the Miller Center Monday evening. The threat of Hurricane Sandy forced officials to call off the event. Albright is still coming to Charlottesville, though. She will now greet voters Wednesday at 12:45 p.m. at the Obama for America headquarters downtown.

Sabato’s Crystal Ball has been a leader in accurately predicting presidential, senatorial and gubernatorial elections since its inception, according to the Crystal Ball website.

“We were looking forward to having it, but we didn’t want people to be in harm’s way,” Center for Politics spokesperson Kyle Kondik said. “We like to do this before big elections, but [Hurricane Sandy] was just too big of a problem.”

The first part of the Crystal Ball predictions will be released online Thursday, and the second part will be released next Monday.