Miller’s hat trick powers 5-0 rout

The No. 11 Virginia women’s soccer team routed rival Virginia Tech 5-0 Sunday in Blacksburg behind a hat trick from senior forward Caroline Miller.

The Cavaliers (12-4-1, 5-3-1 ACC) came out pressuring the Hokies (12-5-1, 3-5-1 ACC) from the very beginning. In the 28th minute, Miller took a pass from sophomore forward Danielle Colaprico in the box and found the back of the net for her 10th goal of the season. Virginia outshot Virginia Tech 9-4 in the first half, but was only able to score one goal before halftime.

After the break, the Cavalier offense exploded. In the 66th minute, Miller added to her total with a shot inside the posts off an assist from sophomore midfielder Morgan Brian. Less than 10 minutes later, Miller completed the hat trick, with a score off a cross from freshman forward Makenzy Doniak in the 74th minute. Junior forward Gloria Douglas added the team’s fourth goal in the 76th minute and junior midfielder Shasta Fisher added the final tally in the 84th minute.

The Cavaliers return to Charlottesville for the final game of the regular season Thursday as they take on Boston College.