System hacked, law center says

The Southern Environmental Law Center said Tuesday its computer system was hacked. “Highly confidential information” was taken without consent or authorization, center spokesperson Kathleen Sullivan said in a statement.

The center has reported the security breach to the FBI and plans to take “any action necessary to address the breach and the unauthorized release of confidential information,” according to the statement.

The center is a regional nonprofit based in Charlottesville that attempts to protect the health and environment of states in the southeast United States, including Virginia, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama and the Carolinas. Founded in 1986, the center also represents partner groups related to issues such as climate change and energy, air and water quality, transportation and land use.

Sullivan did not go into further detail about the nature of the stolen information but urged anyone who receives an email referencing an SELC security failure to leave it unopened and to delete it immediately.