University names Patrick Hogan new Chief Operating Officer

Former Ernst & Young executive replaces former COO Michael Strine, will officially start Oct. 25

<p>Patrick D. Hogan was announced as the new Executive Vice President/Chief Operations Officer of the University of Virginia on Friday morning, October 19</p>

Patrick D. Hogan was announced as the new Executive Vice President/Chief Operations Officer of the University of Virginia on Friday morning, October 19

Former Ernst & Young executive Patrick D. Hogan will fill the role of executive vice president and chief operating officer the University announced Friday morning.

Michael Strine formerly held the position but resigned in August in the cloud of controversy that surrounded the attempted ouster of University President Teresa Sullivan.

The chief operating officer works with the provost in leading all financial planning and budgeting, developing a funding model for the University, developing financial and operational policy, and ensuring that financial resources are deployed with integrity.

“I am very honored and humbled for the opportunity to work with this great team — President Sullivan, our Provost John Simon, Rector [Helen] Dragas, the Board of Visitors and the entire University community,” Hogan said.

The announcement came in a University-wide email Sullivan sent at 9 a.m. Friday morning that prematurely announced the Board of Visitors had already approved Hogan, 60. In fact, the Board did not approve Hogan’s appointment until its open session at 9:30 a.m.

“Pat Hogan brings enormous depth of knowledge and experience in areas critical to U.Va.‘s future,” Sullivan said in the email. “His business, management and health-care expertise complement the broad academic background of Provost John Simon. Together, this team puts the University in a strong position to meet the challenges facing all of higher education.”

Hogan has 35 years of business experience with Ernst & Young, a global professional services firm. He was a long-time member of the McIntire Advisory Board and last year was appointed to the Medical Center Operating Board.

“On behalf of the Board I would like to express our very enthusiastic support for Mr. Hogan,” Dragas said in a press conference. ”I know the University community will find his very thoughtful nature and his impressive business experience as well as his broad financial background will serve the University well.”

Hogan moved to Virginia when he was 12 years old, attended high school in Colonial Heights and later graduated from Old Dominion University, Dragas said. Hogan and his wife recently moved to Charlottesville after working abroad for some time with Ernst & Young. Hogan has daughters who graduated from the University.

Hogan addressed how Strine’s sudden departure from the University, after just 13 months in the chief operating officer position, would affect the approach he takes to his new role.

“The first thing I need to do is to cultivate and build some strong relationships,” he said. “To build effective teams, you also have to establish trust and have great transparency. I can assure you that teamwork, trust and transparency will be really important to me.”

During a Friday press conference Hogan was also asked to speak about how his responsibilities would change if the Rector were to leave or be removed in January. The Virginia General Assembly is set to vote to approve or reject the governor’s Board appointments in January, including the reappointment of Dragas to another term.

Hogan avoided directly answering the question, but said there would be many individuals involved in creating the goals of the University and that his number one duty will be to report to the president.

“I’m confident that Pat Hogan will contribute significantly to the prodigious task of ensuring U.Va reaches long-term financial stability.” Dragas said.

Hogan’s contract will be effective for five years, and he will receive a $450,000 annual salary.

The appointment will take effect Oct. 25. Hogan said one of his first orders of business will be to find a replacement for former Vice President and Chief Financial Officer Yoke San Reynolds, who retired earlier this year.