Virginia matmen sweep Movember Duals

The No. 16 Virginia wrestling team swept aside its competition for the second consecutive weekend. The Cavaliers competed in the Movember Duals in Boiling Springs, N.C. and defeated George Mason and Gardner-Webb.

Virginia (5-0) dismantled the Patriots (0-2) 41-3 in the day’s first match. Three Cavaliers, including No. 7 redshirt senior Matt Snyder, recorded pin falls against a hapless George Mason. No. 9 redshirt sophomore Nick Sulzer and No. 9 redshirt junior Jon Fausey won back-to-back matches by technical fall to further assert the Cavaliers’ dominance.

Virginia next targeted Gardner-Webb (1-1), which proved no match as the overpowering Cavaliers won 36-3. Virginia opened the bout by winning nine straight matches, including a pin by Snyder at 125 pounds and major decisions by redshirt senior Jedd Moore and Sulzer in the 157- and 165-pound weight class respectively.

The Cavaliers now turn their attention to the UTC Duals this weekend where they will battle their first ranked opponent of the season, No. 4 Iowa.