Nursing School receives gift

$5 million grant allows for Clinical Nurse Leader program expansion

<p>The nursing school has decided to cancel all undergraduate clinicals for the rest of the semester, but those graduating this year already have enough hours to graduate on time.</p>

The nursing school has decided to cancel all undergraduate clinicals for the rest of the semester, but those graduating this year already have enough hours to graduate on time.

Nursing School Dean Dorrie Fontaine confirmed last week that Bill and Joanne Conway will give $5 million in the next five years to the Nursing School to double the size of the Clinical Nurse Leader program.

The masters degree program trains students with a non-nursing background to become registered nurses and also teaches them to evaluate the health care system as a whole.

“[CNL students] have a degree in another field and they take a very intensive two-year program,” Fontaine said. “They learn how to lead systems and change and fix the broken health care system.”

The gift will be used to create the Conway Scholars program, which will help provide need-based financial aid to students in the program, allowing each year’s class to expand from 48 to 96 students in the next five years.

“For each year, we are going to grow students and give them financial aid so they don’t have to work [while studying, because] this program is expensive like any graduate program,” Fontaine said.

The grant will also allow the Nursing School to hire a few additional faculty members for the program, Fontaine said.

“The faculty are definitely going to be teaching our Clinical Nurse Leader students,” Fontaine said. “There is a big need for faculty, and this is going to give us much needed resources.”