Student representatives create strategic planning outreach group

Imagine UVA to encourage dialogue, debate about University's future

In an effort to spark student conversation about the future of the University, the student representatives from the seven working groups of the University’s Strategic Planning Steering Committee officially formed Imagine UVA Tuesday.

Under the heading of Imagine UVA those representatives will host several on-Grounds events and solicit students’ opinions through Imagine UVA’s Facebook page in order to better report the student body’s opinions and ideas to the steering committee, said second-year College student Katharine Sadowski, a representative from one of the seven working groups.

“We will use the use the information from the Facebook page to decide which issues that the student body most wants addressed,” she said.

The steering committee, an organization run by the President’s office, will then report students’, the faculty’s and the administration’s thoughts to the Board of Visitors, Sadowski said.

One of Imagine UVA’s first events will be an open forum April 11 for students to present concerns they want the student leaders to present to the Board when it convenes April 18.

Imagine UVA will also be guided by Betsy Ackerson, project manager for strategic planning, and Senior Vice Provost Milton Adams, both members of the President’s steering committee.

“Although I’m coordinating the overall planning process, what is important is that [the students] are organizing it themselves and it was their initiative that got it going,” Adams said.