Virginia women's swim and dive places 18th at NCAA Championship

Cavaliers finishs second among ACC schools; Georgia takes title

The Virginia women’s swimming and diving team completed its season with an 18th place finish at the NCAA Championship meet in Indianapolis. Nine different Cavalier swimmers were able to make it out of prelims to score points for the team.

Virginia (9-0, 3-0 ACC) placed in the top 20 at this meet for the sixth consecutive year, finishing second among ACC teams behind only North Carolina, which finished 12th overall. Georgia claimed the title, beating out second place California, the two-time defending national champions.

Thursday, the first day of competition, the Cavaliers made it out of prelims in only the 200 freestyle relay, which placed 15th. That team consisted of senior Lauren Perdue, juniors Rachel Naurath and Emily Lloyd and sophomore Emily Dicus. The Cavaliers finished the day with four points in the meet, sitting at 26th place.

The Cavaliers fared better Friday, sending another relay and two individual swimmers out of the morning prelims. Freshman Courtney Bartholomew won the 100 backstroke consolation final, which was good for the ninth overall spot, and Perdue finished second in the 200 free consolation final, good for 10th overall. The 800 freestyle relay team of Perdue, Naurath, junior Caroline Kenney and sophomore Ellen Williamson finished 11th. Virginia ended with 28 points on the day and moved into 18th place.

Saturday, the meet’s final day, Virginia sent a third relay and three more individual swimmers into consolation finals. Bartholomew earned a 10th place finish in the 200 back, while sophomores Alison Haulsee and Sarah White finished 14th and 16th in the 200 fly, respectively. The 400 freestyle relay of Perdue, Williamson, Lloyd and Dicus finished 16th overall.

The Virginia men will compete in their portion of the NCAA Championship later this week.