Living Wage rally confronts Board of Visitors

Protesters not deterred by heavy security meaasures

As the Board of Visitors met in the Rotunda Thursday, Living Wage Campaign protesters outside loudly voiced their opinions, crying out against the University’s “silence” about workers’ rights and compensation.

The rally marks yet another confrontation in a now seven-year struggle between the campaign and University officials.

“With this rally, we want to urge the University to think of its workers when deciding important budgetary decisions at this Board meeting,” said first-year College student Erin Sutherland, a campaign spokesperson. Ultimately, protesters are seeking a living wage for all University employees, a figure they have determined to be $13 an hour, as calculated by an independent nonpartisan economic policy institute.

Protesters aim to build off the success of last year’s Living Wage hunger strike, which resulted in an hourly wage increase to $11.30 for workers directly employed by the University. Since the hunger strike, the campaign has hosted rallies at several other Board meetings, keeping tensions high between the campaign and University officials.

Students and community members gathered for the campaign on the north side of the Rotunda, holding signs bearing messages like “A Living Wage is not radical.” According to one student delivering a speech to the crowd, securing a living wage is “about recognizing the humanity of everyone in our community.”

Participation extended past those affiliated with the University to community members. “[A living wage is] a justice issue,” said 78-year-old Charlottesville resident Carrol Houle, who attended the rally. “And there’s something we can do about it.”

Fourth-year College student Claire Wyatt, a campaign organizer, estimated the rally drew about 100 protesters, about 60 of whom migrated to the south side of the Rotunda, where they gathered on the lowest level and continued chanting slogans. Police officers lined the steps of the Rotunda.

Inside the Board meeting one floor up, protesters’ chants were clearly audible amid the board’s discussion of the upcoming budget. At one point, several members of the campaign were permitted to enter the meeting. After quietly taking their seats, they started up their chant and continued until Rector Helen Dragas called for order and Rotunda authorities escorted the students out.