Men's Golf finds success in Tennessee

No. 11 Cavaliers finish No. 6 in stroke play, win matchup

The No. 11 Virginia men’s golf team showed two sides of its game this weekend at the Collegiate Challenge Cup in Nashville, Tenn., finishing sixth in the tournament’s stroke play portion and defeating Texas A&M in Sunday’s match play.

Competitors played two rounds Friday at The Golf Club of Tennessee for a combined 36 holes. Junior Denny McCarthy led the way for the Cavaliers, shooting a 68 in both rounds — good enough for second place overall. Texas A&M sophomore Ben Crancer was the first-day leader with a 131. Junior Ji Soo Park finished in 11th place with a 141, and junior David Pastore and freshman Jimmy Stanger were tied for No. 32 with a 147. Virginia finished sixth overall as a team with a 571, 14 strokes behind the leading Aggies.

Saturday featured the third and final round of stroke play, and the Cavaliers were not able to make a move on the leaderboard. Virginia shot a combined 289, keeping the squad in sixth place and 28 strokes behind champion Georgia. McCarthy was not as sharp in his final round, carding a 74 to finish No. 5 overall. Crancer held his place at the top, shooting a 66 to finish seven strokes ahead of Georgia senior Joey Garber. Park finished No. 15 overall with a Saturday score of 74.

On Sunday, the tournament moved into match play format, and Virginia took on Texas A&M. Park and Pastore were both victorious, and McCarthy beat stroke play champion Crancer 2 UP to seal the 3-2 win. The match play portion paired 5 ACC schools against 5 SEC schools, and the SEC won 17-8 overall.

The men are next in action Oct. 11, heading back to Tennessee for the Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate tournament.