Cross Country impresses at Pre-Nationals

Cavalier women finish fourth in highly competitive field

The No. 17 Virginia women’s cross country team entered into a showdown with the nation’s best at Pre-Nationals in Terre Haute, Ind. and emerged unscathed, finishing in an impressive fourth place.

No. 6 Georgetown won the meet with 116 points, with No. 2 Florida State and No. 20 Butler in second and third, respectively. Virginia finished ahead of No. 5 Oregon by a 23 point margin. Thirteen teams in the 52-team field were ranked in the top 30.

Five Cavaliers placed in the top 60. Senior Barbara Strehler led the Virginia field with an 11th place finish, and freshman Maria Hauger crossed the finish line in 31st place. Junior Kathleen Stevens finished eight spots behind Hauger, while freshmen Sarah Fakler and Sara Sargent placed 52nd and 58th respectively.

The performance bodes well for the Cavaliers’ postseason aspirations. They won a meet at Panorama Farms earlier this season that closely mirrors the upcoming Southeast Regional, and now they can boast a fourth-place finish against the nation’s best at the site of the NCAA Championship.

Virginia is inactive until the ACC Championships on Nov. 1 in Kernersville, N.C.