Swimming dominates in first meet

Women top Navy and Yale, Men top Navy

<p>Sophomore Courtney Bartholomew won both the 100m and 200m backstroke at the meet against Navy.</p>

Sophomore Courtney Bartholomew won both the 100m and 200m backstroke at the meet against Navy.

In its first action of the season and its first appearance under new coach Augie Busch, the Virginia swimming and diving team put together a complete performance. The women’s team topped both Navy and Yale, while the men’s squad defeated Navy.

The women were dominant, finishing first in all 16 events of the day. Freshman Leah Smith finished first in the 200-meter, 400-meter and 800-meter freestyles, while fellow freshman Laura Simon finished first in the 100-meter and 200-meter breaststroke.

Sophomore Courtney Bartholomew and senior Emily Lloyd were the team’s final multi-event winners, taking the 100-meter and 200-meter backstroke and the 50-meter and 100-meter freestyle, respectively. Two other freshmen — Shannon Rauth and Kaitlyn Jones — each contributed a win in their first collegiate action. Virginia finished with a 250-50 tally against Navy and a 237-63 win against Yale.

The men also put on an impressive showing, taking the title in 14 of the competition’s 16 events. Senior Parker Camp won three events, finishing first in the 200 meter freestyle and the 100-meter and 200-meter butterfly. Fellow senior Jan Daniec and sophomore Luke Papendick each picked up two wins to help in the effort. The men finished with a 212-88 win against the Midshipmen.

The teams are next in action in two weeks, as they host Penn State, Texas and West Virginia in a Nov. 8-9 meet at the Aquatic & Fitness Center.