Men's and women's track shine at Rod McCravy Memorial Meet

Distance medley relays lead Cavaliers to strong showing in Kentucky

The Virginia men’s and women’s track and field teams butted heads with some of the country’s best last weekend at the Rod McCravy Memorial Meet in Lexington, Ky. The two-day event featured two of the nation’s top three men’s teams and three women’s teams that rank in the top six.

Both the men’s and women’s distance medley relays stole the show on the first day of competition. With a meet record time of 9:36.11 — a time that also qualifies as the fastest in the country this season — the Cavaliers’ team of redshirt freshman Mike Marsella, junior Payton Hazzard, senior Anthony Kostelac and sophomore Kyle King easily took first place.

In an ultra-competitive race, the women’s distance medley took third. Freshman Sara Sargent, junior Jordan Lavender, junior Vanessa Fabrizio and graduate Education student Vicky Fouhy combined for a time of 11:22.32. The time is the third-best of the indoor season and the eighth-best in school history.

Other strong performances from day one included sophomore Zach Herriott’s third-place finish in the 5000 meter and senior Edy Ndem’s sixth place effort in the long jump.

Day two proved to be just as solid for Virginia. Three women placed in the top nine in the 3000 meter. Senior Barbara Strehler took fourth, Fouhy was eighth and freshman Sarah Fakler placed ninth.

King ran a personal best 8:06.64 in the men’s 3000 meter, which earned him second place in the event. Lavender earned bronze in the women’s 400 meter dash, junior Ryan Satchell placed second in the men’s triple jump and the women’s 4×400 meter relay team finished fifth, missing the school indoor record by less than half a second.

Virginia returns to the track in two weeks at the “Doc” Hale Virginia Tech Elite Meet.