HackCville launches media arm

Organization seeks to cover local projects and events

HackCville, a Charlottesville-based entrepreneurial “clubhouse” catering to University students, launched a new student-run online publication Monday called HackCville Media.

Second-year College student Daniel Willson, the director of the media publication, chose to get involved with the media project because of his enthusiasm for events and projects happening in the Charlottesville area.

“I was involved with a few student organizations and entrepreneur groups at U.Va [last year, and], what I found was how Charlottesville was the center of all the activity,” Willson said.

The site launched with the release of an “exclusive interview” with Alexis Ohanian, University alumnus and co-founder of Reddit, who talked about his new book, “Without Their Permission.”

“[Ohanian] represents something that has really grown here,” Willson said. “An increasing number of student and community members see [Charlottesville] as a place where ideas can start and grow and have broader national impact.”

HackCville, the parent organization for the publication, was started by University graduate Spencer Ingram as a space to create a community which would foster the development of various projects.

HackCville co-director Alan Webb, who was also co-developer of University course review site the CourseForum, said he is excited about the future of HackCville Media.

“There is a lot of interest [here] in telling the story of Charlottesville,” Webb said.

Though it remains a new organization, HackCville has already fostered several other successful projects. One such endeavor attempted to reimagine glasses called “Frami,” using crowdsourcing to fund the development of glasses with interchangeable lenses. The group of involved students graduated last year and the company is doing well, Willson said.

HackCville is housed on Elliewood Avenue, above Coupe DeVille’s, and is open to all students. Members are allowed access to the space, where they can participate in a variety of activities, from coaching and mentoring to leading classes and workshops.

“We exist to tell people that crazy idea that they are embarrassed to tell people can actually happen,” Webb said.