Lavender, others shine against elite competition

Virginia track and field concluded a weekend of stiff competition at the “Doc” Hale Virginia Tech Elite Meet, competing among a field including two ranked men’s teams and three top-10 women’s teams. The meet featured several strong performances from Cavalier athletes, including a record-breaking effort in the 200-meter dash by junior Jordan Lavender.

Lavender ran a 23.94 to set the indoor school record and finish fourth in the event. She now holds the program’s indoor records for both the 200-meter and 400-meter dash.

On the opening day of action, senior Barbara Strehler claimed second place in the women’s mile. Strehler finished with a time of 4:51.97, less than a second shy of her personal best. Virginia boasted three additional top-15 placers in the mile — junior Kathleen Stevens was seventh, and freshmen Cleo Boyd and Maria Hauger finished 10th and 11th, respectively.

Virginia men also found success in the mile. Freshman Mike Marsella finished fifth with a time of 4:03.18, the second-fastest time ever by a Cavalier freshman. Fellow freshman Henry Wynne was right behind him with a time of 4:05.29, placing sixth.

Freshman Aaron Worrell claimed second in the triple jump Saturday. Worrell soared 49’ 2.5” in his triple jump debut — one inch short of the freshman record and the 10th best mark in program history.

Virginia will split its team next weekend to compete in two meets, the Tyson Invitational in Fayetteville, Ar. and the Husky Classic in Seattle, Wa.

—compiled by Matthew Wurzburger