A 'thank you' to students

To the student body of the University:

Several weeks ago the University of Virginia Center for Politics (CFP) hosted a group of 24 high school students from Chile and Argentina. They were here as a part of the CFP’s Global Perspectives on Democracy program and spent the week on Grounds learning about American democracy and civic engagement. The students visited Monticello, participated in community service and engaged in workshops designed to increase their citizenship skills; and yet they learned so much more from being with you.

Beginning on the first day of the program the students were asked to complete a scavenger hunt of Central Grounds. They were tasked with asking students for assistance if they were confused. Each student they met introduced his/herself and gladly provided guidance. Each day the students ate meals in the dining halls and were greeted by the wonderful staff and students. We were very proud as we looked around the hall at these young visitors engaging with so many University students.

At the Center for Politics our motto is, “Politics is a good thing” and this idea of civic engagement was demonstrated by your actions and attitudes towards visitors to the University.

So we thank you for being you; for living up to the ideals set forth by Mr. Jefferson to educate others and share the blessings of liberty.

The students left Charlottesville with a spirit of optimism and gratefulness that was made possible by your hospitality. Thank you for being just ’Hoo you are!

Sincerely,

Daman Irby, Meg Heubeck and Mary D. Brown and the entire staff of the Center for Politics
University of Virginia Center for Politics
Global Perspectives on Democracy

P.S. They also left cheering on the ’Hoos in the NCAA tournament!