Women’s golf places second at ACC Championships

Despite entering the tournament ranked behind three other teams, the No. 23 Virginia women’s golf team claimed second place at the ACC Championships in Greensboro, N.C. this past weekend.

The Cavaliers edged out NC State by a single shot after three days, carding a team total of 37-over 889. No. 3 Duke was the runaway winner with a 10-over 862, winning its third consecutive ACC title and 19th overall. The tournament was Virginia’s fourth runner-up finish, along with 2006, 2008 and 2010. The Cavaliers have never won the conference championship.

Junior Briana Mao led the way for Virginia with a 5-over 218, placing third among all golfers. In her previous two seasons at Virginia, the lowest she had finished at the ACC Championships was 11th during her freshman year.

Sophomore Lauren Coughlin was not far behind in fifth place with a 7-over 220. Mao and Coughlin were the only non-Duke golfers to place in the tournament’s top-five, as Blue Devil sophomore Celine Boutier recorded a 3-under 210 to take medalist honors.

The three other Cavaliers who competed — freshman Lauren Diaz-Yi and seniors Portland Rosen and Elizabeth Brightwell — all finished in a tie for 25th at 16-over 229.

No. 21 North Carolina came in at fourth place with a team score of 44-over 896, while Notre Dame and Miami tied for fifth at 53-over 905. No. 12 Clemson, in only the program’s first season, entered the tournament as the second-highest ranked team in the ACC behind Duke, but finished in a tie for ninth with Maryland out of 11 teams with a 69-over 921.

NCAA Regionals begin May 8, with team selections and seedings to be announced in the near future. Twenty-four teams are chosen to play at each of the three regionals, so with a top-25 ranking and a second-place finish at the ACC Championships, Virginia should receive a favorable selection.