Cavaliers stumble at Wildcat Challenge

Virginia drops all three matches after first 6-0 season since 2003

<p>Senior outside hitter Tori Janowski racked up 37 kills at the Wildcat Challenge in Evanston, Ill. </p>

Senior outside hitter Tori Janowski racked up 37 kills at the Wildcat Challenge in Evanston, Ill.

The Virginia volleyball team lost all three of its matches this weekend against Loyola, Youngstown State and host Northwestern at the Wildcat Challenge in Evanston, Illinois after starting the season 6-0 for the first time since 2003.  

Loyola beat Virginia 3-2 (21-25, 26-24, 25-20, 23-25, 15-11) in Virginia’s first match of the tournament. In the nightcap, Youngstown State also defeated Virginia 3-2 (25-20, 22-25, 20-25, 25-22, 18-16). The Cavaliers’ losing streak continued Saturday when Northwestern swept them 3-0 (25-22, 25-23, 25-18).

Virginia won the first set against Loyola after out-hitting them .364 to .182. The second set was more closely matched, with Loyola drawing even despite a slightly lower hitting percentage than Virginia. Loyola outhit Virginia .308 to .171 in the third set to take a 2-1 lead, but the Cavaliers answered in the fourth to extend the match.

Virginia then mounted a comeback after being down 2-8, but it was not enough in the shortened and deciding fifth set.

Loyola sophomore outside hitter Morgan Reardon and junior outside hitter Kathleen Vogel led their team with 22 and 19 kills, respectively. Virginia sophomore outside hitters Jasmine Burton and Haley Kole had comparable numbers with 21 and 19 kills, respectively.

Freshman middle hitter Haley Fauntleroy made her first-ever appearance for the Cavaliers, tallying five kills on 10 attempts.

Virginia’s match against Youngstown State played out in similar fashion. The Cavaliers once more had a slightly higher overall hitting percentage and out-blocked their opponent but could not come out victorious.

Youngstown State senior outside hitter Lexi Egler led her team with 22 kills.

Northwestern only hit .289 against the Cavaliers Saturday, but the Cavaliers hit a meager .087 and .095 in the first and third sets against the Wildcats. Northwestern also had more assists, digs and blocks than the Cavaliers to take all three sets easily and win all three of its matches in the Challenge.

Virginia will look to bounce back against Ball State, East Tennessee State University and tournament host Virginia Commonwealth University at the VCU Invitational this upcoming weekend.

—compiled by Chanhong Luu