#GoACC Power Rankings: Week 3

There was a disproportionately low number of #GoACC moments this weekend, with many ACC teams taking the week off by playing vastly inferior opponents or not playing at all. Due to this lack of worthy honorees within the conference, my #GoACC moment of the week goes to a rare non-ACC entity: Penn State fans.

The Nittany Lions had their football sanctions reduced by the NCAA and students were, somewhat understandably, excited. But in a turn of events that should have surprised virtually no one, students gathered and began chanting “Joe Paterno,” among other things. Penn State fans still clearly outpace all others — even Hokie fans — as the most deluded college football fans around. Joe Paterno knew nothing, and the sheeple of State College continue to bury their heads in the sand.

1. No. 1 Florida State (no change)
Record: 2-0, 0-0 ACC
Last Week: 37-12 W vs. Citadel
This Week: Bye

The ‘Noles cruised into the fourth quarter with a 34-0 advantage against the Citadel, pulling Jameis Winston before the third quarter even ended. Ten receivers caught passes in the rout, with the offense looking much more fluid than the week before. That sort of thing tends to happen when you go from playing Oklahoma State to the Citadel.

The offense will continue to improve during the bye week and should look smoother than Jameis dodging police and university questioning by the time Clemson visits Doak Campbell Stadium.

2. No. 21 Louisville (no change)
Record: 2-0, 1-0 ACC
Last Week: 66-21 W vs. Murray State
This Week: @ Virginia

Louisville has looked like one of the strongest teams in the conference thus far, playing quickly and aggressively. After sophomore quarterback Will Gardner committed two untimely turnovers against Miami during Week 1, he and running backs L.J. Scott and Brandon Radcliff raced past Murray State.

Averaging 48.5 points per game — 12th in the country — it will be interesting to see if the Cardinal offense is for real when they visit Charlottesville and face what appears to be one of the ACC’s better defenses.

3. No. 23 Clemson (no change)
Record: 1-1, 0-0 ACC
Last Week: 73-7 W vs. South Carolina State
This Week: Bye

Saturday was a resounding turnaround by the Tigers against South Carolina State after getting abused on national television by Georgia to open the season.

Now Clemson has a week off to prepare for another butt-whooping at the hands of Florida State, as well as another week to let a developing quarterback controversy between senior Cole Stoudt and freshman Deshaun Watson fester like a hot cowpie in the Blacksburg sun.

4. Duke (no change)
Record: 2-0, 0-0 ACC
Last Week: 34-17 W @ Troy
This Week: vs. Kansas

Duke should continue to cruise through the next few weeks behind senior quarterback Anthony Boone, facing a Kansas team that was 3-9 last year and beat Southeastern Missouri State 34-28 in its opener. The Blue Devils will play Tulane next. Their first real test to repeat as ACC Coastal Division champions likely won’t come until Sept. 27, when they visit Coral Gables to face Miami.

5. No. 17 Virginia Tech (up 2)
Record: 2-0, 0-0 ACC
Last Week: 35-21 W @ No. 8 Ohio State
This Week: vs. East Carolina

Hokie fans are some of the most delusional in sports. Virginia Tech’s victory against a Braxton Miller-less Ohio State team — while a quality win — fully reinforced that notion. Seemingly every Virginia Tech fan I know was thrilled they beat a “top-10 team” — but the Buckeyes barely qualify as a ranked team without their Heisman hopeful senior quarterback.

After besting the only ranked team they play all season, the Hokies return to their cupcake schedule to face East Carolina, Georgia Tech and Western Michigan in the coming weeks. The National Championship dreams live on in Blacksburg.

6. Pittsburgh (up 2)
Record: 2-0, 1-0 ACC
Last Week: 30-20 W Boston College This Week: Florida International

Chad Voytik looked less than impressive under center for the Panthers against Boston College, but Tyler Boyd is always a threat through the air and ACC leading rusher James Conner looked absolutely fantastic against the Eagles, reeling off 214 yards and a touchdown. In a relatively weak Coastal Division, Pitt could make some noise this year.

7. Virginia (up 2)
Record: 1-1, 0-0 ACC
Last Week: 45-13 W vs. Richmond
This Week: vs. Louisville

It’s over! It’s finally over!

No, unfortunately the latest quarterback debacle is not over, with both Greyson Lambert and Matt Johns listed as potential starters for Louisville. But Virginia ended its 10-game losing streak last Saturday with a win against Richmond — only 350 days since the last one!

It’s really too bad for Cavalier fans. The defense looks like it could carry the team to a bowl game if the coaches could iron out the other details — like, you know, the starting quarterback and stuff.

8. Miami (down 3)
Record: 1-1, 0-1 ACC
Last Week: 41-7 W vs. Florida A&M
This Week: vs. Arkansas State

It’s hard to read a lot into Miami’s 41-7 win against Florida A&M, but we should get a much better read on the Hurricanes after they take on Arkansas State next week!

Freshman quarterback Brad Kaaya didn’t look much better against the Rattlers than he did in his debut against Louisville, throwing another pair of interceptions to a MEAC defense. He’ll need to improve quickly for the ‘Canes, who play Nebraska in Lincoln and Duke in the weeks following Arkansas State.

9. North Carolina (down 3)
Record: 2-0, 0-0 ACC
Last Week: 31-27 W vs. San Diego State
This Week: Bye

It took a 17-point fourth quarter, but the Heels managed to escape at home against the Aztecs. Now they have a bye week for their players to keep up with their rigorous academic coursework.

10. Georgia Tech (no change)
Record: 2-0, 0-0 ACC
Last Week: 38-21 W @ Tulane
This Week: vs. Georgia Southern

The good news? The triple option looks (almost) as good as ever. The not-so-good news? The passing attack and defense look as suspect as ever.

The Yellow Jackets take on an in-state rival they actually have a shot at beating this week. After rather middling performances against Wofford and Tulane to open the season, the Ramblin’ Wreck has one more tune-up game before it runs into Virginia Tech, Miami and Duke.

11. Syracuse (no change)
Record: 1-0, 0-0 ACC
Last Week: Bye
This Week: @ Central Michigan

Syracuse looked much better this past week than they did on opening weekend. Never mind the fact that the Orange didn’t play, their quarterback — to my knowledge — didn’t punch anyone this week, and they didn’t beat an FCS opponent by just one point in double overtime. Chalk it up as a win.

And thankfully for Orange fans, quarterback Terrel Hunt will not be disciplined beyond his ejection for his punch against Villanova, so Syracuse might have a chance when the team visits the college football behemoths that are the Central Michigan Chippewas.

12. Boston College (up 1)
Record: 1-1, 0-1 ACC
Last Week: 30-20 L vs. Pittsburgh
This Week: vs. No. 9 Southern California

Tyler Murphy’s 92 rushing yards on 16 carries firmly establishes him as a rushing threat. Unfortunately, the senior quarterback’s 10-for-28 for 134 yards, one touchdown and two interception aerial stat line doesn’t quite qualify the Eagles’ starter as a dual-threat.

It’ll be a very long weekend for the Eagles, who just have to survive the No. 9 Trojans before they can return to competing against teams of their own caliber, like Maine.

13. North Carolina State (down 1)
Record: 2-0, 0-0 ACC
Last Week: 46-34 W vs. Old Dominion
This Week: @ South Florida

The start of the Wolfpack’s 2014 season has been the equivalent of dipping their toes into the hot tub and gradually slinking in — opening up with a Sunbelt team, followed by a Conference USA squad; testing out an AAC opponent before pulling out almost entirely to face to a Big South opponent; and then finally jumping right in against Florida State and Clemson.

Enjoy the wins while they last, Wolfpack fans.

14. Wake Forest (no change)
Record: 1-1, 0-0 ACC
Last Week: 23-7 W vs. Gardner-Webb
This Week: @ Utah State

After a crushing defeat at the hands of Louisiana-Monroe during their opener, the Demon Deacons come back strong in Week 2 with a statement win against Gardner-Webb, the pride of the Big South Conference. This weekend’s game might be the last chance Wake Forest has for a win until the team plays NC State in November, so fans ought to tune in.

The good times don’t last forever, my friends — just ask Virginia fans last year.

15. No. 11 Notre Dame (no change)
Record: 2-0
Last Week: 31-0 W vs. Michigan
This Week: vs. Purdue

Notre Dame will remain in last place on this list until the Irish just join the conference already. Ball’s in your court, Swarbrick.