McAuliffe proposes moderated coverage expansion plan

Republicans, Democrats discuss legislative approval

Gov. Terry McAuliffe proposed a new plan to expand health care coverage to more than 25,000 Virginians this Monday, putting forth a more modest proposal than previously presented by the Affordable Care Act. Though many Democrats have said they believe McAuliffe will be able to carry out the plan using executive powers alone, Republicans have said the Republican-controlled legislature should and must be involved.

The new 10-point proposal aims to boost coverage to those who already qualify for assistance while also expanding coverage to 20,000 Virginians with mental illness and 5,000 children of state employees.

This plan is a marked reduction from McAuliffe’s previous attempts to expand coverage to more than 400,000 Virginians by way of Medicaid expansion through Affordable Care Act. The budget passed by the Republican-controlled state legislature in June did not include the expansion.

Nearly 15 percent of Virginians between 19 and 65 are uninsured, amounting to 995,000 residents without coverage, according to data compiled by the Virginia Health Care Foundation. In addition, roughly 42 percent of uninsured Virginians live at or below the federal poverty line.

McAuliffe’s plan would impact a wide variety of groups. Pregnant women would see increased dental benefits and Virginia Family Access to Medical Insurance Security would be expanded to the children of low-income state workers. The plan also creates a task force to combat prescription drug and heroin abuse to address rising overdose deaths in Virginia, as was called for in a joint letter written by 12 members of the Virginia Congressional Delegation in June.

“Following conversations I’ve had with local leaders, law enforcement, and employers, it’s clear that drug abuse is a serious epidemic that is having a devastating impact on Virginia communities and our workforce,” Sen. Tim Kaine said in a statement. “I hope to see continued coordination between public health officials and law enforcement, as well as leaders at the state and federal levels as we work to reduce the number of drug-related deaths in Virginia.”

Increasing enrollment in existing programs is a major focus of the program, with current enrollment in Medicaid, FAMIS and the federal marketplace all below the national average. The plan would also create a new Cover Virginia website to be launched Nov. 15, which would include relevant health care information to increase awareness about resources available.

The largest challenge the plan is likely to face will be approval from the Virginia General Assembly in a special session on Sept. 18. Republican House spokesperson Matthew Moran said the governor could not pursue expansion unilaterally.

“The speaker considers it good news that the governor did not push the envelope on a unilateral expansion of Medicaid,” Moran said. “Everyone knows that appropriating dollars is the legislative branch’s responsibility, which is why we say it will need General Assembly approval to be made permanent.”

Republicans say they are willing to support changes in health care, but with a caveat.

“A number of House Republicans are working on plans to improve access to care and expand the safety net, but that only comes after a fair debate,” Moran said.

A number of Democrats, meanwhile, have said they feel differently. Christina Nuckols, Health and Human Resources spokesperson, said the governor can carry out the plan within his current authority.

“[Democrats are] hoping that the General Assembly will be supportive of his goals,” Nuckols said.