Voices for Empowerment comes from passionate student performances

QuAA and the University’s Global Health Week unite to create safe space for all students

An air of solidarity and compassion filled the room as University student poets and singers shared their perspectives in the Voices For Empowerment open mic night Tuesday.

Queer and Allied Activism organized this event together with the University’s Global Health Week as a means to facilitate conversation about mental health issues and resources on Grounds, as well as to promote creative self-expression by University students.

A diverse selection of students arrived at OpenGrounds, offering both experience and advice to generate a comfortable environment.

Second-year College student Abdulla Jastaniah performed a spoken word poem which traced his personal struggle to find purpose in his life. As one of the more emotional pieces presented, Jastaniah’s piece seemed to hit home for many attendees.

“It isn’t just a physical experience,” Jastaniah said on performing. “It’s something you can immerse yourself in. You can allow people listening to you to indulge themselves fully in your art, and use that as more of a way to just understand people.”

After beginning the event with a moment of silence in honor of missing second-year College student Hannah Graham, event contributions ranged from speaking out against the persistency of sexual harassment to lighter reflections, such as third-year College student Claire Constance’s comparison of croutons to life.

Greg Lewis, a fourth-year College student and president of Queer and Allied Activism, said he hopes his organization can continue to host open mic nights in the future.

“I hope for the open mic night to start conversations, for people to come out and share emotions and experiences or support people who are doing that," he said. "The key goal is to start some conversations and have people bring a safe space to the rest of U.Va.”

Lewis said this goal was of particular importance in light of Graham’s disappearance and recent reports of assault near Grounds.

“The community is feeling a lot of hurt, and this mic night will offer a safe space to share and just be with others who are also experiencing pain on some level,” Lewis said.