​Jefferson Scholars Foundation awards eight excellence in teaching awards

Eight professors win total of $80,000

The Jefferson Scholars Foundation recognized Biology Prof. Barry Condron, Chemistry Prof. James Landers and Accounting Prof. Susan Perry Williams last week as the 2014 recipients of the Jefferson Scholars Award for Excellence in Teaching.

The Foundation also awarded the Hartfield Jefferson Scholars Teaching Prize to Biomedical Engineering Prof. Timothy Allen, Computer Engineering Prof. Joanne Dugan, Material Sciences Assoc. Prof. Dana Elzey, Materials Science Assoc. Prof. William Guilford and Lab Assoc. Prof. Harry Powell.

“Both awards seek to recognize faculty who are exemplary classroom teachers and who have demonstrated a dedication to students that is exceptional,” Jefferson Scholars Foundation President James H. Wright said. “Often the extraordinary commitment to students demonstrated by the faculty members receiving these awards has gone unrecognized.”

The seven recipients of the two awards represented seven different academic departments, and they were awarded almost $80,000 in total prize money.

Department chairs from across the University are eligible to vote for any full-time faculty member to receive the Award for Excellence in Teaching. The award was established in 2013 and is given to the U.Va. professors who have demonstrated exceptional enthusiasm and dedication to teaching.

The Hartfield Prize, established in 2008 through an anonymous grant, is awarded annually to professors in the Engineering School who exhibit strong commitment to teaching. Any member of the University community can nominate a professor for the award.

Wright said the recipients were superb representatives of the University, adding that professors like these attract top-level applicants to the University and encourage admitted students to enroll by creating unique opportunities in the classroom.

“For me, the most memorable moments were the smiles on the recipients' faces and the faces of their family members and colleagues when they were presented to the audience,” he said. “And then to watch them almost immediately return to their life's calling by engaging students and colleagues in animated conversation was also special and affirming of the wisdom of the Foundation's selection process.”