The Last Bison’s return to central VA

Hot off the heels of the release of their latest record, eccentric folk band returns to the Southern

Following the release of ambitious last album "VA," Virginia natives The Last Bison will bring their uniquely, folksy sound to The Southern Cafe & Music Hall Friday, Nov. 7.

Arts & Entertainment caught up with frontman Ben Hardesty to discuss the band’s sound, the new album and what to expect from their current tour.

Arts & Entertainment: What genre best describes The Last Bison? Given the eclectic sound showcased on "VA," a label like "folk" seems overly general.

Ben Hardesty: We used to describe the music as “mountaintop chamber” — mountaintop describing its roots feel, and chamber describing the classical nuances. I definitely still think this is an adequate description. However, just the other day I was having a conversation with someone, and they described it as “anthemic American stomp.” I thought that was pretty awesome.

AE: Have any other artists influenced the band’s sound, especially as it evolved on the new album?

BH: Some of us are die-hard U2 fans, some of us mostly listen to classical, some listen and hunt for music no one has heard of. For me, as a songwriter, I know my influences are far more steeped in experience than in hearing other people's music. A moment which is truly awesome to witness affects me more than hearing an incredible song. I tried to reflect on those moments in my life when we wrote this album.

A&E: What are some themes you explore lyrically on "VA"?

BH: We explored freedom in both the literal and figurative sense. Some songs actually reference being set free from bondage such as slavery. Other songs are more along the lines of being set free from guilt, or a vice. Also, there are songs from the other side of freedom, from a yearning or longing for freedom not yet realized. Sometimes, a message that needs to come out is just inside you and you don't yet know it, and when you start writing it just comes out.

A&E: You recorded "VA" in a cabin in rural Virginia. How did that setting contribute to the album’s sound?

BH: I grew up surrounded by swamp, forest and marshlands, as did several other members of the band. I felt like putting us in a familiar and close-to-home environment would inspire creative freedom. We could step out of the A-frame structure we recorded in and be surrounded by trees. We could walk 100 yards and be on the riverbank. That safety and familiarity is comforting, and causes less tension throughout the recording process. When there's less negative tension, there's always more life in a project.

A&E: This album has some very complex arrangements. Has that presented any difficulties for the tour?

BH: We try very hard to craft songs we can pull off both on the recordings and in the live show. We practice our parts and songs over and over again until they are ingrained in our heads. We truly want the live show to sound like the recording, so we think about that going into writing and into how that translates to our concerts.

A&E: What kinds of sets can we expect to hear on this tour?

BH: People should come to the shows expecting to hear lots of new music. We are playing a lot of songs off "VA" and even some stuff that didn't make it in the record. However, we will definitely be leaving old favorites in the set as well. As far as covers, you will just have to come to the show and see, but expect some classic rock.

A&E: What have you been most looking forward to about the tour?

BH: Certain places on tour become like homes away from home. Friends, family and fans all around the country have welcomed us into their homes. They have let us crash on their couches, in their beds, on their floors, and have made us delicious home-cooked meals. Seeing those people, reconnecting and catching up — that's always my favorite part of tour. Oh, and of course getting to play our songs and interact with everyone who comes out to dance and sing along is an absolute blast.

A&E: What’s your favorite song off the new album to play live?

BH: I think you would probably have to ask each band mate individually. I enjoy playing “Cyprus Queen” because of the thick beat and energy. I enjoy playing “Endview,” because it always has a way of sweeping me up into some feeling I can't describe. Different songs connect to me in different ways, and for that reason depending on where I am that day, any song could be my favorite.