Medical Examiner rules Graham death a homicide

Albemarle County Police spokesperson says homicide was of 'undetermined etiology'

<p></p>

Late second-year College student Hannah Graham died from "homicidal violence," Albemarle County Police confirmed Tuesday afternoon.

The chief medical examiner has not released a full autopsy report yet, and Albemarle County Police spokesperson Carter Johnson said the homicide was of "undetermined etiology."

Graham's remains were found Oct. 18 on an abandoned property off Old Lynchburg Road about 11 miles southwest of the University, 35 days after she first went missing.

"The Albemarle County Police Department and the Albemarle County Commonwealth’s Attorney remain committed to the investigation," Johnson said in an email. "To protect the integrity of the case, we will not be answering questions or releasing additional information. We are working hard to ensure that justice is served."

Charlottesville Police charged Jesse Matthew with abduction with intent to defile in the Graham investigation on Tuesday, Sept. 23. He currently faces a Dec. 4 court date. The Albemarle County Commonwealth Attorney's office would not comment on whether or when charges against Matthew would be altered.

Matthew also recently pled not guilty to three charges in a sexual assault investigation in Fairfax County, including attempted abduction and attempted murder. His Fairfax trial is set to be held in March.

Forensic evidence obtained following Matthew's Sept. 24 arrest in Galveston, Texas also links the Graham investigation to the case of deceased Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington, who disappeared in 2009 after attending a concert at John Paul Jones Arena in Charlottesville. Harrington's remains were found in January, 2010. No charges have been filed in the Harrington investigation.