Best uncapped USMNT prospects by position

The U.S. Men’s National Soccer Team is in for a busy 2015 season.

The senior side is set to participate this summer in the CONCACAF Gold Cup, a tournament that will decide which North American association will be represented in the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup — a tune up tournament for the 2018 World Cup in Russia. The U-23s will then attempt to qualify in October for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio. In the meantime, coach Jürgen Klinsmann has arranged for five friendly matches between now and June — four European visits against Denmark, Switzerland, Netherlands and Germany and a home draw against arch-rival Mexico — to be played in between the two tours.

With so many national team minutes available, Klinsmann is bound to continue with his January theme of experimentation at the fringes of the roster — especially because this is the last year he can reasonably afford to do so. In the recently concluded cycle, several players received their first national team caps in the Feb. 8 friendly against Panama, including the defensive MLS-based trio of Perry Kitchen, Steve Birnbaum and Matt Hedges. Looking forward to the rest of 2015, however, there is a handful of highly deserving, internationally based players yet to receive call ups to the senior team. These are my picks, by position, to receive their full debuts before the year is up.

Goalkeeper: Zack Steffen —19 years old; SC Freiburg (Germany)

Though deeply experienced in the national youth ranks, the recently-signed Bundesliga backstop faces quite an uphill battle for playing time at the senior level. English Premier League regulars Brad Guzan and Tim Howard firmly hold the 1 and 2 spots while MLS starlets Bill Hamid and Sean Johnson will alternate for No. 3 duty. That said, Steffen has shone brightly in the past months, having recently led the U.S. U-20 team to secure a U-20 World Cup berth en route to capturing their CONCACAF Championship. His crucial penalty-kick save – which preserved a 1-0 US lead against Panama in the semifinals — highlighted an overall stellar tournament performance. While less experienced, his upside is likely higher than that of either Hamid or Johnson. Should he find minutes for struggling SC Freiburg towards the end of this season or beginning of next, we shouldn’t be surprised to see the former Maryland Terp receiving regular call-ups come December. At the very least, he seems a very safe bet to be between the goalposts for the U.S. Olympic campaign.

Defender: Ventura Alvarado — 22 years old; Club America (Mexico)

The Phoenix, Arizona native has been turning heads in Liga, Mexico this year for arguably the biggest club in this hemisphere — Mexico City-based Club America. After breaking into the starting 11 towards the end of 2014 thanks to club suspensions and injuries, the defender has not let go of his spot on the right side of the club’s back three set-up. He most recently went 90 minutes in a 5-0 victory over Chiapas. Furthermore, the U.S. has not had a consistent back line for some time, and most spots — especially in the center — are still unclaimed. To be sure, incumbents Matt Besler, Omar Gonzalez and Geoff Cameron have not been their former selves since the World Cup. We could very well see an Alvarado-John Anthony Brooks center back pairing solidified by the end of the year should he show well in the coming months. Given his potential to suit up for either Mexico or the U.S., we should expect Klinsmann to make this call sooner rather than later.

Midfield: Gedion Zelalem — 18 years old; Arsenal (England)

In a country relatively short on creatively-gifted players, the young playmaker could potentially answer a serious need for the senior team. Klinsmann has most recently been experimenting with Clint Dempsey in the space just behind the striker — the classic No.10 role in his 4-2-3-1, but at 31, there’s no telling how much longer he will be able to contribute at a high level. Highlights of Zelalem’s performances for Arsenal in preseason tours indicate Gideon could be just the man for the job. Though born in Germany to Ethiopian parents, the young Gunner spent his formative middle school years in Maryland and received his U.S. Citizenship in December 2014. FIFA rules would require him to wait five years to represent the senior side, but the US Soccer Federation will be applying for an exception. If granted, it seems that Zelalem would imminently receive a call-up before the Gold Cup takes place.

Forward: Andrew Wooten — 25 years old; SV Sandhausen (Germany)

Like many of this U.S. Men’s National Team Compatriots, Wooten is the product of a U.S. Serviceman father and German mother. Having scored 8 goals in 13 league appearances for his 2. Bundesliga side this campaign, it is a surprise that fellow German-based forward Bobby Wood has been receiving call-ups in his stead. In fact, this past weekend Wooten scored a brace against league leaders Ingolstadt en route to a 3-1 victory. With the U.S. National Team severely lacking in depth at striker behind a recuperating Jozy Altidore, Wooten’s large frame could prove an invaluable addition to the roster if he can sustain current productivity. Either of the team’s two European tours in the coming months would make a lot of sense for Wooten to make his debut.