Freshmen contribute to strong showing in Blacksburg

Six Virginia freshmen face down more experienced athletes

<p>One of two seniors on the women's track team, Peyton Chaney sprinted her way to top-five finishes in both the 60-meter and 200-meter at the Doc Hale Elite Meet.&nbsp;</p>

One of two seniors on the women's track team, Peyton Chaney sprinted her way to top-five finishes in both the 60-meter and 200-meter at the Doc Hale Elite Meet. 

Twenty-four track and field athletes traveled to Blacksburg for the Doc Hale VT Elite Meet on Feb. 6 and 7.

Freshman Bridget Guy broke the program record in the women’s pole vault Friday. Clearing a height of 3.88 meters, Guy exceeded Vika Ospenkos’ 2003 best of 3.80 meters and finished first in the unseeded flight.

Five other freshmen — Mia Barron who placed 2nd in the triple jump, Katie Freix who placed 5th in the pole vault, Kiana Hairston who placed 19th in the 200-meter, Daniel Hamm who placed 13th in men’s triple jump and Logan Carrington who placed 20th in the men’s 800-meter — exhibited ambition and ability during the two-day meet, oftentimes competing against more experienced athletes.

Two mentors for these younger teammates, senior Jordan Lavender and junior Peyton Chaney, recorded top-10 finishes versus some of the South’s best runners.

Lavender finished third in the women’s 400-meter invitational with a time of 54.13 seconds. Meanwhile, Chaney set a personal best in the women’s 60-meter dash with a time of 7.59 seconds — good for 6th place. She also finished third in the 200-meter dash with a time of 24.28 seconds.

On the relay side of competition, senior Vanessa Fabrizio and sophomores Chimere Ezumah, Brooke Grice and Kendall Cowne won the women’s distance medley with a time of 12 minutes 2.44 seconds.

The Cavalier track and field team will split up this week Feb. 13 and 14, sending athletes to both the Iowa State Classic in Ames and the Don Kirby Elite Meet in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

— compiled by Grant Gossage