No. 7 Virginia earns first win over Richmond

The No. 7 Virginia women’s lacrosse team won its first game of the season Wednesday afternoon 14-6 against Richmond. The Spiders saved 12 of Virginia’s shots, but it wasn’t enough to stop the Virginia offense, which had a total of 36 shots.

Richmond (0-2) was the first to strike when a goal by junior attacker Charlett Stevenson put the Spiders on the scoreboard. A goal by Virginia’s junior midfielder Mary Alati tied the game, and Virginia (1-1) won the ensuing draw control and scored again to take a 2-1 lead. The Cavaliers had three more shots, after winning the next draw control, to extend its lead, but each one was met by Richmond’s senior goalie Emily Boyce.

The Cavaliers’ next goal came on a free position shot with 21:53 remaining in the half, but neither team would score for another ten minutes. Richmond broke the drought at the 11:31 mark, but the Cavaliers ended the half with two more goals to take a 5-2 lead into halftime.

Richmond started the second half with three goals in the first six minutes to remain close, but Virginia would go on a 7-1 run to close out the game.

Senior attacker Liza Blue and Alati led the Cavaliers with three goals each. Blue also added two assists, while Stevenson led her team with two goals.

Virginia only had two saves for the game, but 10 of Richmond’s shots missed the mark. Richmond also didn’t win a draw control in the first half and had 13 turnovers for the game compared to the Cavaliers’ three.

The Cavaliers will continue their two-game road trip against Syracuse Monday.