Cavalier athletes claim three victories at Fred Hardy Invitational

<p>Senior thrower Christine Bohan claimed a decisive victory  in the women's shot put. </p>

Senior thrower Christine Bohan claimed a decisive victory in the women's shot put.

Nine Cavalier track and field athletes competed at the Fred Hardy Invitational in Richmond on Friday. The Virginia unit was comprised of five freshmen, three sophomores and one junior.

The eight youngsters gained valuable experience, while upperclassman Devon Brewer sharpened his technique in the 400-meter hurdles ahead of next weekend’s showdown with California and Michigan. Collectively, their efforts produced three wins in twenty events.

Sophomore Christine Bohan — an All-ACC performer during the indoor season — finished first in the women’s shot put with a throw of 14.57 meters. Bohan also claimed second in the hammer throw and fourth in the javelin.

In cold and windy conditions, Freshman Anthony Bouselli beat out a trio of Army athletes that settled for second, third and fourth, winning the men’s javelin with a distance of 55.44 meters.

Sophomore Chris Rogers strung together three jumps for a distance of 14.37 meters in the men’s triple jump. Rogers topped his indoor season best by .0063 meters and earned the third and final Cavalier victory of the day.

Three other freshmen — James Williams, Carter Green, and Holly Sullivan — recorded either a personal best or a top-5 finish. Williams set personal records in both the men’s hammer throw and shot put with marks of 41.43 meters and 14.86 meters, respectively. In the latter event, Williams took fifth place.

Green, a discus and shot-put specialist in high school, set a personal record of 34.40 meters in the women’s hammer throw. Green’s teammate Holly Sullivan claimed third place in the women’s 400-meter hurdles, finishing in 1:04.67.

On April 3, Junior Zach Herriott will run the 10-kilometer at the Stanford Invitational. Most of his teammates will return to action twenty-four hours later in Berkeley, California.

—compiled by Grant Gossage