Virginia receives No. 2 seed in East Region, will face Belmont Friday

<p>Junior guard Justin Anderson and the Virginia men's basketball team take the court against the Bruins Friday at Time Warner Cable Arena, home of the NBA's Charlotte Hornets.  </p>

Junior guard Justin Anderson and the Virginia men's basketball team take the court against the Bruins Friday at Time Warner Cable Arena, home of the NBA's Charlotte Hornets. 

The Virginia men’s basketball team Sunday evening received a No. 2 seed in the 2015 NCAA Tournament. Competing in the East Region, the No. 3 Cavaliers (29-3, 16-2 ACC) will play Ohio Valley champion Belmont (22-10, 11-5 OVC) this Friday at Time Warner Cable Arena in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Big East champion Villanova earned the No. 1 seed in the East Region, while Big Ten champion Wisconsin, Duke and overall No. 1 seed SEC champion Kentucky garnered the top seeds in the West, South and Midwest, respectively. West Coast champion Gonzaga, Pac-12 champion Arizona and Kansas received the remaining No. 2 seeds.

Should Virginia advance, two-time ACC Coach of the Year Tony Bennett’s team will play either No. 7 seed Michigan State (23-11, 12-6 Big Ten) or No. 10 seed Georgia (21-11, 11-7 SEC) in Sunday’s third round. The winner of that game will travel to Syracuse to play in the Sweet 16.

Virginia — which fell to Michigan State as a No. 1 seed in last year’s Sweet 16 — will appear in back-to-back NCAA Tournaments for the first time since the mid-90s. The Cavaliers have now qualified for March Madness three times in Bennett’s six seasons in Charlottesville. Virginia has never before received a No. 2 seed in the Tournament.

Also competing in the East Region are No. 3 seed Oklahoma (22-10, 12-6 Big 12), No. 4 seed Louisville (24-8, 12-6 ACC), No. 5 seed Northern Iowa (30-3, 16-2 MVC) and No. 6 seed Providence (22-11, 11-7 Big East).

Virginia won its second consecutive ACC regular-season title and retained a top-five ranking in both the AP Top 25 and the USA Today Coaches Poll for much of the season. The Cavaliers fell to North Carolina — the No. 4 seed in the West — in the ACC Tournament semifinals.

Tipoff against Belmont is slated for 3:10 p.m.

—compiled by Matthew Morris