Women's lacrosse takes down top-10 Princeton

After losing two straight games against No. 2 North Carolina and No. 16 Loyola, the No. 8 Virginia women’s lacrosse team picked up an 18-11 win against No. 10 Princeton Saturday afternoon at Klöckner Stadium.

The Cavaliers (4-4, 0-2 ACC) lost 10-7 to the Tar Heels (8-1, 1-0 ACC) March 7 in Chapel Hill, North Carolina and 13-12 in overtime to the Greyhounds (3-4, 1-0 Patriot League) at home March 11.

Virginia never led against North Carolina despite outshooting the Tar Heels 25-22 while losing the draw control battle 12-7.

In the overtime loss to Loyola, the Cavaliers also outshot its opponent 28-21 and won the draw control battle 18-12. In the game, Virginia took a 10-9 lead with 56 seconds left in regulation before Loyola tied it back up to send the game into overtime. In overtime, the Greyhounds scored three unanswered goals within the first five minutes of the six-minute overtime to pull away with the win.

Virginia was also down early in the first half against Princeton before outscoring the Tigers (4-1, 1-0 Ivy League) 9-1 to close out the half and take a 9-3 lead into the break. Princeton was only able to come within one goal closer the rest of the game, bringing the score within five three times in the second half. The Cavaliers finished the game having outshot the Tigers 36-28 and winning 19 of the 31 draw controls. 

In the game, junior midfielder Anya Gersoff led Princeton with three goals on five attempts.

Virginia freshman midfielder Kasey Behr led the Cavaliers in scoring in both the North Carolina and Princeton games with three and four goals respectively, while senior midfielder Courtney Swan led Virginia in the Loyola game with six points on three goals and three assists. Redshirt senior attacker Liza Blue also contributed eight goals during the three-game span.

Virginia will return to the road Wednesday when it faces James Madison in Harrisonburg, Virginia.