Young, DMR deliver in Arkansas

<p>Senior Payton Hazzard teamed up with sophomores Nathan Kiley, Mike Marsella and Henry Wynne for a sixth-place finish in the men's distance medley relay. </p>

Senior Payton Hazzard teamed up with sophomores Nathan Kiley, Mike Marsella and Henry Wynne for a sixth-place finish in the men's distance medley relay. 

Six athletes from the Virginia men’s track and field team competed in Fayetteville, Arkansas, at the NCAA Indoor Championships over the weekend. At the end of competition, Virginia placed 23rd — the top finish among ACC schools.

In two events Friday, the Cavaliers scored a total of eight points. Sophomore Jordan Young, an Arizona Wildcat last season, finished fourth in the weight throw with a distance of 22.87 meters. This mark was only .05 meters off his school-record throw from the ACC Championships.

At the end of day one, the men’s distance medley relay — senior Payton Hazzard and sophomores Nathan Kiley, Mike Marsella and Henry Wynne — earned sixth place.

The group’s time of 9:33.24 — fourth best in school history — outdid talented programs, including Duke, Arkansas, Oklahoma State, Stanford and Virginia Tech. Young and the four DMR members received All-American honors for their performances Friday.

Saturday, redshirt freshman Filip Mihaljevic competed in the men’s shot put. Mihaljevic’s first toss of 18.40 meters was respectable. But his next two throws — both fouls — cost him a spot in the finals. It was likely a disappointing day for the school record holder and ACC Indoor Champion.

Fortunately, Mihaljevic can turn the page on his performance. The 2015 outdoor season starts Saturday with the Virginia Cup at Lannigan Field.