Freshman guard B.J. Stith to leave Virginia

UPDATE: Stith will transfer to Old Dominion University, where his father is an assistant coach and his brother Brandan is a sophomore forward.

Freshman guard B.J. Stith will leave the Virginia’s men’s basketball program, coach Tony Bennett announced Friday morning. The 6-foot-5, 205-pound Stith’s decision to transfer follows a season of scant playing time on a loaded Cavalier roster.

“B.J. informed me during our player meetings that he is leaving the Virginia basketball program for a better opportunity for playing time,” Bennett said. “B.J. worked hard, was a good teammate and played a role in our success this season. We wish him well in the future.”

Stith — the son of Virginia all-time leading scorer and former NBA guard Bryant Stith — averaged just 4.8 minutes per game this season as the last player off the Virginia bench. He appeared in 13 games, putting up 1.0 points and 0.6 rebounds per contest. Assuming the return of guards sophomore London Perrantes, juniors Malcolm Brogdon and Justin Anderson and freshman Marial Shayok, Stith’s chances to play significant minutes next season seemed dim.

“It is with great sadness that I’m leaving the University of Virginia,” Stith said. “I want to thank coach Bennett, the entire basketball staff, my teammates and Cavalier Nation for allowing me to realize my life-long dream. The love I received from everyone associated with Virginia Basketball was overwhelming. I will forever be grateful for their support. However, I know in my heart that my steps have been ordered.”