Women’s golf edges No. 13 Wake Forest, wins Bryan National Collegiate

Mao takes medalist honors in Virginia’s last regular-season tournament

The Virginia women’s golf team edged Wake Forest in a two-hole playoff to capture the 18th annual Bryan National Collegiate Sunday in Greensboro, North Carolina. The No. 12 Cavaliers claimed their second event win of the season — the first came at the UCF Challenge in Orlando — and seventh in program history.

Senior Briana Mao captured medalist honors with an even-par 216. Now, Virginia golfers have posted the top individual score at three tournaments in a single season for the first time in team history. Sophomore Lauren Diaz-Yi won both the Tar Heel Invitational and the UCF Challenge earlier this season.

Virginia and the No. 13 Demon Deacons entered the final round of the three-day, 54-hole event knotted at 14-over 599. By day’s end Sunday, the programs remained deadlocked.

The Cavaliers, though, pulled out the win at Bryan Park Champions Course to finish the regular season with a bang. Virginia also seized the Bryan National Collegiate title in 2013.

Diaz-Yi and junior Lauren Coughlin followed up Mao among Virginia competitors at 12-over 228, tying for 21st place. Junior Elizabeth Szokol and freshman Lyberty Anderson rounded out the scoring for Virginia, shooting 21-over 237 and 23-over 239, respectively. Freshman Sarah Kolodzik competed as a non-scoring individual and placed 71st.

The Cavaliers return to Greensboro for the ACC Championships at Sedgefield Country Club later this month. The tournament runs April 17-19.