14.6 percent

<p>ESPN's Rachel Nichols has gained headway as a nationally-recognized female sports journalist.</p>

ESPN's Rachel Nichols has gained headway as a nationally-recognized female sports journalist.

Women created 36.1% of published media in the United States in 2014, according to the year’s Women’s Media Center’s “Status of Women in the US Media Report”. Only 14.6 percent of those who work in the American sports media are women. Females continue to try to push past this gender gap. However, the field of sports journalism does not currently provide equal opportunities or treatment for women in many cases, with labor practices often furthering a male dominated hegemony. It is hard to break into the field as a woman — and even harder to be taken seriously. Many don’t want to join the fight to help bring the percentage beyond 14.6 percent because of the constant questioning of credibility based on gender.

Similar to many of the remaining women in my career path, I got through being enrolled in dance classes at age three instead of soccer. I had to work around being told at age 13 by a male friend that “he hated when girls came to Super Bowl parties, because they all knew nothing and never could because they didn’t play the game.” I dealt with my friend this past year saying, “Oh yeah, I forgot you cared” as he moved out of the way of the television screen as the FBS Championship played on.

As I got involved in sports journalism in college, I began to realize how double standards and blatant sexism continue to live on. Although I know that a majority of men in sports and the general population are not sexist and have no problem with female sports reporters, the effects of the masculine hegemony continue to unconsciously affect many.

Others are not so unconscious. While covering a baseball game, I have been asked by a middle-aged man if I knew what a perfect game was. Two men at a golf tournament asked me if I wanted to play, and when I said I didn’t have time for a round of golf, they said, “Oh, we weren’t talking about golf, honey.” People I have worked with have asked me if I know the simple terminology of the same sport. The list goes on. I am not saying that I know every fact about every sport; however, it should not be assumed that I do not know even the simplest of terminology and facts because of my gender.

Based on a variety of studies that have been conducted in recent years, women feel their male counterparts take them less seriously based solely on their gender. Evidence also shows that viewers at home, both male and female, take what a female sports broadcaster is saying less seriously because of her sex. It has been cited by these researchers that these notions come from the cultural misconception that women do not know as much about sports as men because of their lack of interest or ability to play (e.g. football). Bottom line, it comes down to the masculine hegemony found in sports and the fact that our entire culture values men based on their knowledge and participation in sports. How could these values be used if women are able to be equally as knowledgeable?

In addition to being taken less seriously, women in the industry often face sexist language and blatant harassment similar — although often more extreme — to the comments I received from the golf players. Ashley Fox, a reputable female sports reporter, walked into the Philadelphia Eagles’ locker room for the first time and had a rookie say to her, "Bet you like seeing all of these swinging d---s in here, don't you?"

Even worse than the blatant harassment is the less obvious inequality in the glass ceiling. Of the 14.6 percent of women in sports media, a very small percentage works in managerial roles, mainly resulting from the issue of credibility that these women face.

I am a part of the 14.6 percent, and I am proud. People continue to take women in sports more seriously every passing day. Becky Hammon and Jen Welter are now coaching on a professional level. Women are anchoring more shows by the day and it has been over 30 years since a female reporter was denied access from a locker room. Progress continues to be made, and as more people become aware of the hegemony, they can overcome it.

One day, we will laugh when we look back on 14.6 percent. At least for today though, our society needs to be made aware of the prevalent issues in the field and supportive of the women who are fighting the gender gap and that percentage.