U.Va. prevention coordinator moves to School of Nursing

Employees in dean's office to fill responsibilities as search for replacement kicks off

The University’s program coordinator for prevention has transferred to the School of Nursing this semester.

Nicole Thomas will now serve as the school’s associate director of annual giving.

Associate Dean Nicole Eramo and other staff in the Office of the Dean of Students will handle the duties of the prevention coordinator while the University works to fill the position.

Thomas has had “a tremendous impact” on the prevention of sexual assault and hazing at the University,

Dean of Students Allen Groves said.

During her year-long tenure, Thomas supported various student initiatives including #HoosGotYourBack, an initiative to improve bystander intervention for issues of sexual assault. She also helped develop the sexual misconduct education module, which all students must complete beginning this year.

Thomas was also involved in coordinating the University’s launch of Green Dot, a community approach to violence prevention, and was a member of President Teresa Sullivan’s Prevention Ad-Hoc Committee.

Groves said Thomas’s work will be continued as ODOS works to align its prevention projects — which include hazing and prevention education, incident reporting system “Just Report It” and sexual violence education and resources — with broader Title IX efforts.

The University hired a full-time Title IX coordinator, Kelley Hodge, this summer.

Thomas began in her new role Sept. 8. She will still work to implement the Green Dot program on Grounds.