“Confident” just misses the mark

Demi Lovato’s new release has its moments, but is not wholly successful

Demi Lovato has every reason to be proud of herself, as she had just recently signed a modeling contract, released a new album and graced the stage of “Saturday Night Live.”

Her new album, aptly titled “Confident,” has a more mature sound than her previous releases, but it is not cohesive enough to earn a top spot on the charts. “Confident” features a handful of empowering anthems and emotional ballads, but they are unfortunately weighed down by other forgettable tracks.

The album begins on a high note with Lovato’s most recent single, upbeat track “Confident”. Lovato sets the tone for the album in “Confident,” boldly claiming “This is my ground / and I’m dangerous.” Sonically, however, the song is misleading, as the rest of the album shies away from its cheekier, hard-hitting approach to pop. Apart from “Cool for the Summer” and “Old Ways,” the second and third tracks respectively, the remainder of the album is generally mid-tempo and is sentimental in nature rather than empowering.

The song’s all-female nature still demonstrates Lovato’s commitment to empowerment, however. Unfortunately, these features drag down the album. Iggy Azalea’s verse in “Kingdom Come” is tired and uninspired, and it leaves the track sounding like a knock-off of Azalea’s own “Black Widow.” Sirah’s verse in “Waitin For You” is only slightly more effective. Another problem throughout the album is Lovato’s tendency to oversing, nearly yelling some notes that would have had much more impact if they been toned down and controlled.

The album’s successes are in its powerhouse ballads, especially “Stone Cold” and “Father.” “Stone Cold” showcases Lovato’s incredible vocal range, without oversinging, while also showing her more vulnerable side. The final track, “Father,” is a goosebump-inducing, choir-backed ode to Lovato’s deceased father. Lyrically, Lovato channels her conflicting emotions about her relationship with her father to create a rather touching, poignant close to the album.

Despite these successes, however, “Confident” falls flat in the end. Yes, some of the singles are catchy and yes, it is clear that Lovato is talented, but it’s not quite enough. While “Confident” is certainly a decent listen and proves Lovato’s potential to be an outright star, it lacks the sonic and thematic cohesion that could have catapulted it to the top of the charts.