Offensive report card: Virginia struggling to make the grade

Offensive line will be key to improving Cavaliers’ attack in ACC play

<p>Freshman running back Olamide Zaccheaus had a program-record 231 kick return yards against Boise State. </p>

Freshman running back Olamide Zaccheaus had a program-record 231 kick return yards against Boise State. 

In recent times a lack of continuity has characterized Virginia’s offense. 2015 has been no different for the Cavaliers, a team transitioning to a power-run offense and featuring a new starting quarterback for the fourth time in as many years.

Last season, Virginia’s offense rode a stifling defense to five victories. Entering the conference portion of the 2015 season the Cavaliers’ offense has been excellent, dismal and all points in between. With eight games remaining on the slate, let’s take a look at the unit’s performance.

Quarterback

Junior quarterback Matt Johns was well on his way to making the Dean’s List before a disastrous outing against Boise State. In that game, Johns went 12-for-25 — a 48 percent completion rate — for only 199 yards.

This was not entirely the Chalfont, Penn. native’s fault as the Broncos’ defense had him under pressure throughout the game — Johns was sacked three times. For better or worse, the Cavaliers’ signal caller is a bit of a gunslinger and is not afraid to put the ball in the air.

Sometimes Johns’ fearlessness pays off — see his 75-yard touchdown bomb to senior T.J. Thorpe, which was a desperation lob off his back foot. Other times, it leads to turnovers, like the game-opening pick-six thrown against Boise State.

Still, Virginia ranks fourth in the ACC in passing yards per game with 255.8, is ninth with a 138.2 efficiency rating and is doing this without the benefit of a running game. Johns averages 247.2 yards per game, which is second in conference and significantly better than the mark of 181.3 set by Greyson Lambert in 2014.

Grade: B-

Offensive Line

The offensive line has been a mixed bag thus far. Offensive Coordinator Steve Fairchild promised a return to a power-rushing attack, but the line has not reached expectations. The Cavaliers find themselves dead last in the ACC in all major rushing categories — yards, yards per carry, touchdowns and yards per game. With only 375 yards gained on the ground, Virginia has 144 fewer rushing yards than Wake Forest, the second-most inept running team in-conference.

The Cavaliers’ front-five has been more successful in pass protection. Through four games, opposing defenses have recorded only seven sacks. Virginia had allowed one sack per game in its first three games before Boise State’s deep and talented front seven accrued four sacks.

With Johns apt to make damning mistakes while under pressure, the offensive line must make a concerted effort to keep the pocket clean for its man under center.

Grade: D-

Running Backs

I touched on the woes of Virginia’s running game above. The Cavaliers are averaging only 2.98 yards per carry, are sixth-from-last among all FBS programs in yards per game and have rushed for only three touchdowns — one coming on a goal-to-go scramble by Johns.

In his third season, tailback Taquan Mizzell has yet to live up to his moniker of ‘Smoke’ or his five-star rating coming out of Bayside High School. Mizzell has received the most handoffs, averages 3.4 yards per carry and leads the team with 157 yards on the ground.

Mizzell’s backups have not fared any better. Junior transfer Albert Reid has been a total non-factor in the ground game thus far, gaining only 2.9 yards on 27 attempts. Redshirt freshman Jordan Ellis showed his potential with a 39-yard touchdown scamper against William & Mary, but has yet to make an impact in a game against FBS competition. Sophomore Daniel Hamm did not record a touch in the Cavaliers’ first two games due to a hand injury and has yet to find his footing in the backfield.

Two running backs — Mizzell and freshman Olamide Zaccheaus — are making impacts in other parts of the game. Mizzell is Johns’ second-favorite target behind senior Canaan Severin, with 22 receptions for 292 yards and three touchdowns.

Zaccheaus emerged as London’s kick returner against Boise State, and the Philadelphia native shined. Zaccheaus set a new program record with 231 kick return yards, including a 54-yarder.

Virginia’s tailbacks need a stronger O-line to run behind in order to be effective, but Mizzell and Zaccheaus are proving their versatility and worth in other facets of the game.

Grade: D+

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends

The Cavaliers’ passing attack begins and ends with Severin. The roommate of Johns, Severin leads the team in catches and receiving yards with 23 and 298, respectively. Outside of Severin, Johns has lacked a reliable wideout or tight end to target — no one in this group has more than six catches.

Virginia’s wide receiver corps got a shot in the arm with the return of Thorpe from a fractured clavicle suffered during the summer. Thorpe saw the field against the Tribe, but the UNC transfer did not record his first reception until the game against the Broncos — the aforementioned touchdown bomb. Thorpe’s speed provides Virginia’s offense the means to take the top off the defense, which adds a new level of dynamism to the offense.

Grade: B-

Final Grade: C

Much remains up in the air when evaluating Virginia’s offense, and which unit shows up on Saturdays — the one that moved the ball effortlessly at times against Notre Dame or the one that was shut down by Boise State — will determine how the Cavaliers fare in ACC play.