Student Council discusses ABC transparency, complaints of force

Members brainstorm ways to strengthen relationship between agency and University

<p>The agency is seeking to build better relationships with Virginia colleges, and Council plans to brainstorm ways to do so.</p>

The agency is seeking to build better relationships with Virginia colleges, and Council plans to brainstorm ways to do so.

Student Council met Tuesday to discuss the Alcohol Beverage Control Law Enforcement Panel. Student Council President Abe Axler, who is a member of the panel, reported on its findings.

Axler said in the last seven years, ABC has received three “use of force complaints” out of thousands of arrests. These complaints arise when the person being arrested is injured or claims excessive force was used.

This contrasts with the Virginia State Police, who have about 60 use-of-force complaints per year, Axler said.

“ABC officers receive the same or more training as other law enforcement agencies,” Axler said, and the agency “makes less than one percent of arrests for underage drinking [in Virginia].”

ABC has done a poor job communicating this information, Axler said, in reference to the perception that ABC as a law enforcement agency has a problem with racial profiling and inadequate training.

The panel recommended a greater degree of transparency within ABC to help alleviate these concerns, Axler said. The agency is seeking to build better relationships with Virginia colleges, and Student Council plans to help brainstorm.

Several members suggested a seminar or online module to educate students about their rights.

Public Service Co-Chair Sarah Kenny, a second-year College student, said a statement from ABC regarding Johnson’s arrest could help to erase negative sentiments students might have for the agency.

“We need to put a face to this agency,” Kenny said.

At their Tuesday evening meeting Student Council also addressed several other community concerns, including extending SafeRide to University Place, expanding Charlottesville recycling services to the Greek houses on Madison Ln. and Rugby Rd. and making Blue Books available in more locations around Grounds.